Friday, May 15, 2009

One sentence

Had a short twitter conversation with a friend that has prompted this blog. You see this friend
has a terrific nephew..he is an athlete..he runs, following in his uncle's footsteps. My friend attends his games and watches him compete. There is a mutual respect between uncle and nephew.
I am still on the fence about Hilliary Clinton...( ever since I saw her on an elephant on vacation in the middle east several years ago on a quick news segment on TV)...but I was a fan of her book
It takes a village. I do believe that what is needed for our children and young adults that has gone to the wayside is a stronger connection between aunts, uncles, neighbors and the community.
I know how I feel when my twitter friends keep asking me and supporting me on my goal to quit smoking...I feel both grateful and accountable to myself and their friendship. Can you imagine how a child feels knowing there is someone out there besides their immediate family that is a fan of theirs? That is there for them ? Rooting for them? Maybe the cashier at the video store in town, or the neighbor across the street...all it takes is a quick sentence of acknowledgement.
"Hey Bobby, I hear you won the race the other day...keep up the good work I am rooting for ya"
Words like that will stay in a young mind for years...just one sentence...that is all it takes to shape the confidence of a young mind and keep that mind on the right path. Which brings me to another subject and another blog perhaps.....Have we forgotten how powerful words can be? Or have we become a society where only objects hold meaning. I say we all take the cobwebs out of our minds and start really thinking on how we can support our young adults when we see them,
either at the grocery store or pulling up in our driveways... All it takes is one sentence..just one sentence.